A rare and most beautiful flower faded away on August 20, 2018. Terry Winter passed at St. Anthony’s Hospital, Warwick, NY with her family at her side. One of Terry’s great passions was growing flowers. With her gentle care she brought to life every seed she ever touched.
Her nurturing skills were even more pronounced as an educator at Eastside High School in Paterson, NJ where she was an outstanding English teacher, guidance counselor, head of guidance, and vice principal. Her recent serious health condition was shared on a Facebook post for the Eastside High Class of 1961, for whom Terry was the class advisor. A sample of her former students’ heartfelt replies follows:
• “Terry is very special. I still remember the wonderful conversations and sound advice she gave me so many years ago. Her guidance and love were appreciated.”
• “We all love her. She not only helped me at Eastside, she gave me great advice over the years. If I have succeeded, she is in large part responsible.”
• “Soft words of encouragement with kindness of heart, she nurtured & guided with discipline and love. Best English teacher and advisor EVER!”
• “She was everyone’s favorite, always smiling always helpful always ready to help if it was needed. Thoughts and prayers are with you always, she was the best.”
• “There are a few people that have an impact on a young person’s life.....Terry is one such person. She helped make my Eastside High School experience very meaningful and memorable.”
Terry’s family includes her husband Stephen, daughter Lisa, son-in-law Michael, and granddaughter Tabitha. Terry and Steve were joyfully married for forty-eight years. She was preceded by her sister, Rita, and brother-in-law, Max Klein. Terry skillfully provided love and caring with simplicity, expertise, and humility to every member of her family. Even with her modesty, her superstar skills for nurturing were undeniable.
Terry Winter was born on March 1, 1937 in Paterson NJ to Herbert and Frances Wolfe. She graduated Eastside High school at age 15, first in her class. Terry received her Bachelor’s degree in three years from Montclair State University. She also received her Master’s from Montclair State University. Terry’s other interests were playing the piano, reading science journals and mystery books.
Terry Winter should be remembered for nurturing flowers of the heart!
The Winter family thanks the physicians, nurses and staff at Valley View Nursing Home, Goshen, NY, and St. Anthony’s Hospital for their compassionate care of Terry.
Funeral Services will be held at 12:00 Noon Thursday, August 23, 2018 at Temple Sinai, 75 Highland Ave., Middletown, NY. Cantor Ted Prosnitz will officiate. Interment will follow in the Temple Sinai Cemetery, Circleville, NY.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Student Scholarships, SUNY Orange Foundation, 115 South Street, Middletown, NY 10940.
Arrangements have been entrusted to the Cornelius, Dodd & Connell Funeral Home, Middletown, NY.